What is Java ?
- Java is a High-Level Programming language, created in 1995 by Sun Microsystems.
- James Gosling is known as the father of Java.
- Originally it was named as oak, Since Oak was already a registered company, so James Gosling and his team changed the Oak name to Java.
- Presently it is owned by Oracle, there are more than 3 billion devices that run java.
- Java follows the “Write Once Run Anywhere” principle, i.e. you can run a java program as many times as you want on a java supported platform after it is compiled.
- It is used in Mobile applications (especially Android apps), Desktop applications, Web applications, Web servers and application servers, Games, Database connection, Embedded systems, Smart Card, Robotics, and much more.
Why we are using Java ?
- Java works on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi, etc.)
- It is one of the most popular programming languages in the world
- It is easy to learn and simple to use
- It is open-source and free
- It is secure, fast, and powerful
- It has huge community support (tens of millions of developers)
- Java is an object-oriented language that gives a clear structure to programs and allows code to be reused, lowering development costs
As Java is close to C++ and C#, it makes it easy for programmers to switch to Java or vice versa
History of Java
- Java was originally designed for interactive television, but it was too advanced technology for the digital cable television industry at the time.
- It was initially known as “Green Team”.
- Firstly, it was called “Green talk” by James Gosling, and the file extension was .gt.
- After that, it was called Oak and was developed as a part of the Green project.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed “Java” because it was already a trademark by Oak Technologies.
- Java is an island of Indonesia where the first coffee was produced (called java coffee). It is a kind of espresso bean. Java name was chosen by James Gosling while having coffee near his office.
- In 1995, java was included in Time magazine’s “Top Ten Ben Product of 1995:.
- JDK 1.0 was released on 23rd January 1996.
Java Version History.
- Till now, many of java version has been released and as of 15th September 2020, Java 15 is the latest released version of Java, with Java 16 scheduled for March 2021 and Java 17 for September 2021.
- JDK Beta (1995)
- JDK 1.0 (23rd Jan 1996)
- JDK 1.1 (19th Feb 1997)
- J2SE 1.2 (8th Dec 1998)
- J2SE 1.3 (8th May 2000)
- J2SE 1.4 (6th Feb 2002)
- J2SE 5.0 (30th Sep 2004)
- Java SE 6 (11th Dec 2006)
- Java SE 7 (28th July 2011)
- Java SE 8 (18th Mar 2014)
- Java SE 9 (21st Sep 2017)
- Java SE 10 (20th Mar 2018)
- Java SE 11 (25th September 2018)
- Java SE 12 ( 19th March 2019)
- Java SE 13 (17th September 2019)
- Java SE 14 (17th March 2020)
- Java SE 15 (15th September 2020)
- Java SE 16 (Expected in March 2021)